Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease that not only affects one’s physical appearance, but one’s confidence and self-consciousness as well. Contrary to what many individuals think, the relationship between Psoriasis and clothing is not entirely cosmetic. As a matter of fact, clothing choices can affect your Psoriasis, either aggravating or alleviating Psoriasis symptoms.There are certain clothing fabrics that cause skin irritation and Psoriasis flare ups, which might advance into a vicious Psoriasis outbreak cycle it uttermost caution is not taken.
Psoriasis patients often have itchy, irritated, cracked, red, dry plaques in specific areas of the skin. Consequently, these lesions will ready bleed, particularly if harshly itched. As a result of the occasional oozing, the Psoriasis lesions are likely to remain open, exposed to clothes that can either ease or aggravate the Psoriasis.
How to Decrease Discomfort with Clothing
Making the right clothing choice can go an exceedingly long way in managing your Psoriasis, preventing any Psoriasis outbreaks that can occur. How?
- Choose cotton- Cotton is a wonderful fabric that is very Psoriasis friendly as it doesn’t irritate the skin and it never causes overheating. However, you’ve got to chose lightweight cotton clothing, and avoid thick cotton fabric. Furthermore, you should avoid synthetic and woolen clothes, as they have remarkable heat retention properties, and they tend to stick to open lesions.
- Go Loose- Comfort is a very significant issue for any Psoriasis patient, so it’s best to avert any tight clothing, which can rub or irritate open lesions. Tight clothing often worsens Psoriasis symptoms by irritating existing lesions, so choose comfortable clothing and undergarments that are somewhat loose.
- Lauder fragrance free- Fragranced laundry detergents are notorious Psoriasis triggers, and as such, Psoriasis experts recommend the use of unscented, fragrance free fabric softeners, which are quite Psoriasis friendly. Liquid detergents are highly preferred as compared to solid ones due to their easy dissolving properties, and they can’t stick on clothing like solid detergents.
- Choose light colors- Light-colored clothing helps minimize the look and redness of the plaques. Light colored clothing readily hides Psoriasis flakes that dark colored clothing would otherwise enhance.
- Choose clothing that hides your Psoriasis- There are those kinky days when you don’t want to deal with people reactions towards your Psoriasis. Consequently, it’s significant to purchase clothing such as full length pants, long sleeved shirts, scarves and even hats to help hide your Psoriasis, thereby reducing the undesired stares. However, you ought to be utterly cautious about overheating, so go with lightweight clothing.
Nowadays, there are many effective Psoriasis treatments that make it exceedingly easy to deal with Psoriasis. But as much as these Psoriasis treatments help alleviate the symptoms, little thing like clothing can make an enormous distinction. Well, clothing will help enhance a Psoriasis patient’s cosmetic appearance, but you ought to be certain that your clothing doesn’t aggravate your Psoriasis. Pick out the right cotton, Psoriasis friendly clothing, and without a doubt, dealing with Psoriasis with never be a hassle.
Filed under: Psoriasis